Monday 1 April 2013

To like or not to like


Man is a social animal. It’s good to share thoughts, feelings and opinions. One of the reasons why we bloggers can’t resist our itch to blog! But my post today is dedicated to some men and women, for whom being social is all about useless, baseless updates nobody is interested in. Yes, I am talking about the hyperactive junta on social networking sites. I had been resisting myself away from writing this one, but a trip to my good old Facebook provoked me to blog it out.

We Indians love to network, and so when few years ago, Orkut came to India, we rejoiced in excitement! Just like Hindi movie brothers separated in Kumbh Mela, long lost friends got back in touch, thanks to Orkut. One could share pics, scraps, have a cute little profile and could even have unlimited sponsored praises from friends. That was not enough to satiate the appetite of social networking hungry netizens. Then came Facebook (FB) – like a super shakti avtar & started a revolution of apps. More benefits for free! Wow! Like kids going for bigger piece of the cake, we went crazy with FB. I even knew a friend’s daughter who made herself a little pouch to keep her stationery, made a face on it and named it FB.

It was fun – one could play games, use apps along with the regular Orkut features; until it came under the scanner of attention seeking junta. And now I see FB updates driving us all crazy. And if have a smart phone with a FB app, be prepared for the constant “ping ping”. The moment one reaches his/her homepage, there’s a field mentioning “what’s on your mind”. Always proactive at making their own assumptions, many people have taken it in the literal sense. So, you have people posting even the minutest details – from their current location to the stuff they are eating; almost like a dutiful child following his mother. You can even trace them by following their FB updates.

Once in a while if you had something special, it would interest us, but who would be interested in knowing what are you eating everyday (along with a pic!). And if by God’s grace, a picture has come out well, it has to be on FB even if it means bombarding your FB friends with constant updates.  I have even seeing some teenagers competing for number of “likes” and followers.

I have a friend who updates everything from her present state of mind to what she is doing etc etc…even if she or anyone in her family is unwell, you can see the latest status on her FB page, along with a pic of course!

Its good to share…but over sharing is annoying. I know someone who posts the entire 100+ pics album whenever she goes for some trip, and then asks “did u see the pics?” I feel like saying “Do I have nothing else to do in life than seeing each and every pic of urs?” Then I realized a better way of handling this – “the power of click”. Just go and like the entire album and you will be spared the torture. Who cares if I actually saw or liked the pics.

I know FB lovers, including my 14 year old niece will hate me for writing this post. But sorry people, I have no other option. I joined FB to connect and share – but when the pressure of “likes” qualifies to be “unliked”, my heart shouts “spare the torture”!!!
Pic Courtesy:Google Search

23 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I hate over-pestering people too! I mean u say you are on a trip and posting each and every second of what u are doing,it only means that u are really not enjoying the trip coz when one enjoys a trip he/she has no spare time to post every second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Bushra! U have a very valid point. There is so much to see and explore on a trip than just updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice read.FB is good, but I don't know why people become addict to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fb...the super shakti avatar with many other social networking sites tagging along!
    But then...web is what you make of it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree ..anything in excess is annoying .. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree! and fb has become more of a pain after all these sponsored pages have started, a complete turn off...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Facebooking has reached a new level where people are now obsessively posting about their emotions and feelings and are pestering others to like it. That is why I have shifted to Quora, it makes more sense and is sufficiently educative though it is not exactly social networking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya. I too joined it. But all frendz are on Fb..:(

      Delete
  8. Facebook was intended to connect to people. But it has become a personal confession ground. We can find almost every detail in the posts. And when they tell to like their photo, I feel like, 'I will like if it like it. Someone does't have to tell me about what I like or not' And that's so annoying. And then there is endless stream of updates. How do these people do that? Probably, they eat,sleep,walk,talk,work with facebook on their handsets.

    Nicely written. And I totally agree with you.

    Take Care and Keep Writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you 100% like all above.FB has become very fickle & phony.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol!! sooooooooooooo true!! Such attention seeking irritating ppl! ARGGHHH! I have contemplated deactivating my account countless times, but in the end of the day, I wana stay connected to the ppl who are far away, and whom I care about...

    http://taintedfingers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Same here. At the end of the day, u dont wanna lose contact with good old frendz

      Delete
  11. Agree, it shouldn't be treated like a dumpster of all random thoughts...
    will keep flying by for more, now that I discovered your amazing blog and well, sense of humor! :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was an interesting post..thou I beg to differ as I feel people have right to share whatever they wish to.. You always have an unfriendly option with you if some seems annoying.. It a network created to express ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun and interesting read of the evolution of FB, the impact and adjustment to a different social interaction than blogger world only. The good part is, we can pick and chose how we want to interact on FB.

    ReplyDelete

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)