Friday 7 September 2018

Easy and Healthy Sattu Sandwich


Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers


I was introduced to Sattu by my mom in law, after I got married. My earlier job required me to be out by 6.30am. I still remember how diligently she would wake up every morning to prepare my breakfast and tiffin. Even during the famous Delhi winters, she would ensure I never left home without eating breakfast. Sattu was her favourite handy ingredient back then. 

For those who don't know much about Sattu, it is an excellent ready food which has several health benefits, as it is nothing but roasted gram/chana in powdered form. Sattu drink is an excellent way to beat the heat during summers in North India. An excellent food for people suffering from Diabetes and Hypertension, Sattu is an instant energy booster as well and rich in fibre, proteins, minerals and antioxidants. 

A super healthy and light option which perfectly compliments many recipes.

My MIL loves to play around a lot with Sattu. Apart from the Sattu drink in summers, she prepares excellent Sattu paranthas and Littis.

Having learnt so much from her, I experimented with Sattu and prepared these Sattu Sandwich for breakfast yesterday. To my utter gastronomic joy, they came out so well! Posted these on my Facebook foodie groups and the overwhelming response motivated me to post the recipe on my blog.


Ingredients (Makes 2 Sandwiches)
Brown bread - 4 slices

Onion - 1 medium

Green chilli - 1 large or to taste

Salt - to taste

Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Sattu/Roasted grams powder - 1tbsp
Lemon juice - few drops
Cheese slices - 1 per sandwich
Ghee - 1tsp (optional)


Method

1. Chop together onion and green chilli.





2. Add Sattu powder, salt, red chilli powder and lemon juice. Mix well.


3. Spread stuffing evenly on bread slices.


4. Put cheese slice on top.


5. Cover with the other bread slice.

6. Smear some Desi ghee on top (optional) for good colour.

7. Grill and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, I'm sure it's healthy too. Thanks for sharing the detailed recipe, will try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Havent heard before about sattu..pls explain what is this and how to make it.or where can we get

    ReplyDelete

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)