Motherhood is the most beautiful phase in a woman’s life. Like all moms to be, I too had been googling on parenting during my pregnancy since I knew that post delivery, the baby would be my priority. However, once our bundle of joy arrived, I faced an issue I had not expected even in my wildest dreams!
Since mine was a C section, little S and I couldn’t be together during the initial 2 days as I was still recovering from post surgery blues. The third day, when I could finally move, I was all excited to breastfeed my baby. I had read about the advantages of breastfeeding and wanted to ensure the baby didn’t miss out on the Colostrum which is packed with immunity. As I took my baby in my arms and tried to feed him, a strange issue came up. Because my baby had been bottle fed the initial days, he was no longer willing to latch. And thus began an ordeal where anybody and everybody showered me with their opinions on getting it right. After almost a month and non stop struggle, my baby and I felt exhausted and frustrated, however, I was still not wanting to give in to a formula feed diet for my baby.
It was then that a friend of mine came as an angel. She suggested I try an electric breastpump, since latching or baby mood issues were no excuse to deprive baby of the benefits of breastmilk. Since I am a working mom, I also wanted to ensure that once I joined office, I manage my work and home well so that my baby could have the benefits of my breastmilk. I had heard that lactating mothers who join work gradually lose their milk supply and didn’t want my career or my baby to suffer.
Mr. Hubby and I did our research on the options available in the market and zeroed upon the Medela Swing as it offered the following advantages –
- 2-Phase Expression Technology - Using this technology, the breastpump simulates the natural infant sucking behaviour at the mother's breast. The electric breastpump feels very comfortable to use - almost like breastfeeding itself. Its faster let-down and maximum milk flow significantly reduces pumping time
- Comfortable: A range of vacuum levels and settings
- Easy to use: Easy to assemble, use and clean
- Quiet and compact design, ideal for daily and discreet pumping
However, we also found few pain areas -
· Spare parts – While sterilizing, I accidentally burnt a milk storage bottle however, I was told that the spare parts were not available at the retail outlets and one has to contact the company
· After sales service – With a little baby and a thing as crucial as a breastpump, ease of service should be the top priority. A home service for any issues would be most appreciated by moms like me.
My Medela Swing has made life much simpler for me and my baby. Not only is my baby able to enjoy the benefits of a breastmilk only diet, he is gradually becoming more comfortable with the latching, thanks to the Medela Calma feeding solutions.
Like most women, I too had been worried about balancing my profession and motherhood, however, with my Medela Swing, I am confident about getting back to work without affecting my motherhood.
Benefits of breastfeeding –
· Breastmilk contains all your baby needs: proteins, fats, lactose, vitamins, iron, minerals, water and enzymes in the exact amounts required for the optimal growth and development.
· Breastfed babies are healthier. Breastmilk contains substances which prevent harmful bacteria from growing in intestines and causing gastrointestinal and diarrhoeal infections.
· Breastfed babies have fewer middle ear infections, fewer respiratory infections and a decreased risk of developing allergies, cancer, childhood diabetes and obesity.
· Breastfed babies have a decreased risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
· Breastfeeding a premature baby decreases his risk to develop necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC).
· Breastmilk is clean, free from bacteria and has anti-infective properties.
· Breastmilk has the right temperature and needs no preparation. It is readily available whenever your baby needs it.
· Breastfed babies are less prone to develop diabetes, heart diseases, eczema, asthma and other allergic disorders later in life.
· Breastfeeding enhances brain development. Research shows there is better visual development and visual acuity in breastfed children.
· Breastfeeding is more than just food. It enhances the emotional bond between the child and the mother and provides warmth, love and affection.
World breastfeeding week is being celebrated from August 1-7, 2015.
You can explore Medela’s range of breastfeeding products at their website
#World #Breastfeeding week #motherhood #baby #parenting