Sunday 18 March 2018

Sabudana Kheer


Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

/span> While moms may go to any length and breadth to make their children happy, they end up ignoring themselves. Whenever we are fasting together, my mom in law prepares a lavish fare as she knows I'm a foodie. But when she is fasting alone, she makes excuse that she is fasting strict and will break her fast next morning. 

I guess when parents get old, we children need to become their parents. It's a kind of role reversal. One can't ignore one's health.


So, when MIL was taking a nap, I soaked sabudana chupke se 

And prepared Sabudana Kheer for her in the evening.

Do I have to tell how happy she was?
Small joys of life! :)

Ingredients
Milk - 1/2 litre
Sugar - 1tbsp (I have shown the spoon used in pics)
Sago/Sabudana - 1/2 Cup Soaked for 5-6 hours
Fox Seeds/Makhana - A handful, roasted
Green Cardamom/Elaichi Powder - 2tsp
Chopped Nuts - For garnishing (Optional. I haven't used nuts as I prefer the kheer without them)

Method 
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, boil the milk. I have used a kadai here for a very weird reason. At weddings, I notice Halwais with their kadai full of milk, which they serve with Jalebis! Also, I had just prepared carrot kheer for my son in the kadai so you may notice some red carrot strands in my kheer!

2. Once the milk boils, reduce the flame and add the soaked Sabudana, stirring continuously.

3. Grind the roasted Makhana in mixie to a coarse powder. Just one small blend will give you the desired result. 

4. Add the makhana powder and elaichi powder to the milk and mix well.

5. Once the kheer begins to boil (this time at low flame) and begins to reduce, add the sugar and mix well.



6. Mix well and cook on medium flame for another 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously and tadaaa! The kheer is ready!

Trust me, there cannot be an easier way to earn brownie points from your fasting mom or mom in law!

Happy Navratra!

2 comments:

  1. What's up mates, good piece of writing and fastidious urging commented here,
    I am actually enjoying by these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good info. Lucky me I discovered your log by chancce
    (stumbleupon). I have saved as a favorite for later!

    ReplyDelete

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)