Tuesday 5 April 2016

C:Comic- A to Z Challenge


The reason why I got a lot of scolding from mom during exams was surprisingly not studies. It was comics. Yes, I was addicted to comics like a dopier is to dope. My addiction would be at its best during exams, for the colorful pages and happy faces transported me to a different world, free of exam stress, fears and failures. Every comic tells a happy story. However, being a concerned parent, mom used to be worried for my career, so she often made me swear not to touch comics till the exams were over! I used to be tempted to hide the comic in my textbooks and finish the story, but the guilt of breaking a swear and the fear of ranking low in class successfully kept me away from comics.

However, as soon as the last exam would be over, comics and I would embrace each other like long lost lovers and we would spend nights happily in each other's company.

Comics also taught me the art of networking & negotiating very early in life!

A boy in our neighborhood had a enviable collection of comics and used to organize a paid library during summer holidays. Paying for so many comics was totally our of question. But, then I found a weak link. This guy liked my hulla hoop and his mom never got him one, considering it to be a very girlie thing. So I negotiated the perfect barter. I would let him play with my hulla hoop and he let me read comics for free.

And that was not all...

There was a magazine stand next to the flour mill in the local market. Once, while waiting with my brother for the flour to be done, I picked up a comic, thinking I will pretend to check it out and the shopkeeper would think I will buy, but I will quickly switch to another one. However, once I opened the comic, I got so immersed in it that I lost track of time. Thankfully, the shopkeeper was a nice guy and a comic lover himself. "Why don't you grab a chair and read?"he said and offered me a chair. 

I was all smiles, thinking "Goodness still prevails"

Here are some of my favorite comics.







What are your comic memories & which are your favorite comics?

This post is written for #atozchallenge.

6 comments:

  1. Great collection of comics tickles childhood memories.
    www.richajindal.com
    www.jindalpackers.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amar Chitra Katha, Tarzan and yes, Archies!
    Good luck with the AtoZ!

    @yenforblue from
    Spice of Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just took me back to my childhood. I loved comics too.

      Delete
  3. Interesting... And you know what I have never read Comics in childhood. Now I do follow the cartoon strips in the newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brings me back some nice memories.. Me and my bro used to fight to grab the Sunday newspaper edition to read the comics first. Now that I'm trying to create some sparks with a new comic strip in my blog. Check that out. Hope you enjoy them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Its great to share. Would love to have your valuable comments on my blog...:)